PTE WRITING TIPS
SECURE HIGH SCORE BY FOLLOWING THE STRATEGIES IN WRITING TEST
Summarize Written Text
The task : This is a short-answer writing task type that tests reading and writing skills. You have I 0 minutes to write a one-sentence summary of a reading passage. You will do 2-3 Summarize written text tasks.
Use your reading skills
• Take the time to read the passage calmly. First, skim for the general topic, then read carefully for the main ideas.
• Note the main idea and supporting ideas using key words, and arrows and symbols to indicate how the ideas are organized. Effective note-taking will ensure that your summary has all the main points.
Construct your summary
• Type the main point of the passage in the box, then add the supporting or other details.
• Remember, your response must be one sentence only, between 5 and 75 words, so you must use grammatical structures and punctuation that allow you to include all your points within one sentence.
• Use the ‘Cut’, ‘Copy’, and ‘Paste’ buttons to move text around. There is a word counter below the writing box, and a timer running at the top of the screen.
Check your writing
• Take a few minutes to check your grammar and vocabulary. Does your sentence begin with a capital letter and end with a full stop?
• Your response will not be scored if it is more than one sentence, or if it is written all in capital letters.
• At the end of I 0 minutes, the screen will stop responding.
Preparation • Practise skimming short texts quickly (up to 300 words) to identify the main points. In a longer article, stop reading after each paragraph and summarize the main point in one sentence.• Work with a friend to agree on what are the main ideas and supporting ideas in texts.• Develop your own techniques for rapid note-taking. Decide on your own abbreviations and symbols and practise using them so they become automatic.• Revise complex structures such as subordinate clauses and the use of conjunctions that will allow you to include more ideas within one sentence. Analyze long sentences in texts to identify how the writer has constructed each one.• Find a short text (up to 300 words) and time yourself reading and summarizing it. Take one minute to skim for the main idea, then 2 minutes to read carefully and take notes. Spend 5 minutes writing a one sentence summary, and 2 minutes checking your work.• Compare your summary to the original text. The best response will clearly summarize the main idea and condense essential supporting ideas.• Find a set of 2 or 3 short texts and time yourself summarizing them, one after the other. Make sure you only spend 10 minutes on each text.
Analyze and plan
• First, analyze the essay task. Identify the key words that tell you the general topic, then look for the particular aspect of the topic you are being asked about (often in the form of a statement of a position).• Look closely at the task to see exactly what you have to do — agree/disagree, answer specific questions, etc.• Use your Erasable Noteboard Booklet to plan your essay. Note the ideas you want to include, and decide how you will order them.
Write your essay
• Use your outline notes to present your position on the task, and support your opinion with evidence and examples. Remember that it doesn’t matter what your opinion is as long as you argue it clearly and with support.• Make sure you cover all the required aspects of the question.• Make sure your essay is well organized, with a new paragraph for each new idea, to develop your argument.
Check your writing
• Save a few minutes to check your writing. You will lose marks for poor grammar and for spelling mistakes.• After 20 minutes the screen will stop responding,so click `Next’ and move on
Writing: writing for a purpose (to learn, to inform, to persuade); supporting an opinion with details, examples and explanations; organizing sentences and paragraphs in a logical way; developing complex ideas within a complete essay; using words and phrases appropriate to the context; using correct grammar; using correct spelling; using correct mechanics; writing under timed conditions.
• Look at the Write essay tasks in this book and in The Official Guide to PTE Academic. Circle the topic in each one, then underline the particular aspect of the topic you must write about. Identify the instruction that tells you exactly what you must do — agree/disagree, answer specific questions, etc.• Practise developing outlines for essay topics. Look again at the essay topics in this book and in The Official Guide to PTE Academic, and prepare quick outlines for each one. Remember that a response that does not address the topic will be scored zero.• Practise writing introductory paragraphs, with one sentence that makes a general statement on the topic and a second sentence that introduces your opinion.• Practise writing conclusions that re-state or summarize your argument in one sentence.
• Make a list of signpost words you can use to show how an argument is organized, such as Firstly, Secondly, However, In addition, On the other hand, etc_ Write paragraphs that use these signpost words.• Write 250 words on one essay topic on your computer and time how long it takes you to do this. Decide how much time you can spend planning your essay, how much time writing, and how much time checking.• Practise writing without using the spell-checker and grammar checker on your computer so that you learn to recognize wrong spellings.
Content courtesy: Pearson
At Life Education, Cochin, students are given personalized evaluation of their writing tasks. Students are encouraged to take up writing tasks on a daily basis and daily discussions are also held to help students to get ideas on various writing topics.
Correction of writing tasks is done on a daily basis with elaborate remarks and suggestions for improvement.
To avail this service, enroll as a student of Life Education and attend our daily interactive, enriching sessions.
Life Education is the pioneering and best institute in Kerala for IELTS, PTE and OET
+91-9447775902 +91-9388584411 +91-9961884411
Leave A Message
What Our Students Say
I'm really grateful to Life education for its support throughout to achieve my success in PTE examination. The tips, motivations and practice I got from there really made the difference. We can experience a homely ambience and especially Sudarshan sir is very friendly and motivating teacher who give individual attention to each students. I strongly recommend to anyone who is looking to excel in English proficiency. Life education is the best choice. Once again I thank for the support and I wish all the success in the coming years.
It is tough to learn and be comfortable at the same time. All my teachers in the institution are working very hard to achieve this objective. I appreciate the way they constantly work hard to learn and conduct activities that are both fun and educational. I am indebted to the patience and affection they have shown to me and making me feel at home. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to make friends who are now family, and a whole lot of memories to cherish forevermore . I am forever grateful ❤️
Supporting faculties with quality training. Provides interactive classes, tension free environment and freedom to educate ourselves in the most productive way.
It was a wonderfull experience with 'LIFE EDUCATION'. Faculties are very friendly and caring like father and mother more like a family. They are verymuch advanced and updated to train students to follow their dreams with perfect vision.
Learning is supposed to be fun and exciting only then we can get good results. Life education see to it that we do so. They moulds us in every way and doesn't confine ourselves to learn only about the 4 modules of IELTS. With ample amount of materials we are able to build our confidence by practicing them together. Faculty members attend to our each and every need and ensures that we present the best version of ourselves on the test day. I would recommend everyone whether first timers or repeaters to attend classes at LIFE EDUCATION.
I took classes here only for a week. Couldn't have gone to a better place to prepare for IELTS, that too for such a short period of time. The teachers were extremely friendly and helpful. There were many references and study materials available for preperation and the teachers were always ready to help us and clear our doubts. Their guidance sure did help me get good scores for the exam.
| Kochi | Kerala | India |
- Established for Over 16 Years
- Over 6000+ Students Trained
- World Class Educators
© 2016 Life Education